I. About ZJU-UoE Institute
Zhejiang University-University of Edinburgh Institute (ZJE) is a collaboration in the field of Biomedical Sciences between Zhejiang University, China and The University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom. The two universities established a joint institute at the International Campus of Zhejiang University in Haining, Zhejiang, which builds on the existing strengths of both, and aims to foster collaborations in teaching and research. The Institute provides undergraduate education programmes that produce students with academic excellence, leadership skills, innovative capacity and global vision.
Top-tier Universities in the world
-Founded in 1897, Zhejiang University (ZJU) is one of China's oldest and most prestigious higher education institutions. It is ranked 3rd in China and 44th in the 2023/24 QS world University Rankings. ZJU owns 7 affiliated hospitals and 7 campuses.
-Founded in 1583, The University of Edinburgh (UoE) has been providing students with world-class teaching for more than 400 years. It is one of the world's top universities, consistently ranked in the world top 20, and placed 22nd in the 2023/24 QS World University Rankings.
II. Academic Programmes
ZJE offers all English-taught undergraduate academic programmes in Integrative Biomedical Sciences and Biomedical Informatics.
B.Sc. Integrative Biomedical Sciences Overview
Integrative Biomedical Sciences is a multidisciplinary degree programme that provides opportunities to investigate the biomedical sciences in the 21st century. The core structure of the programme provides the knowledge, skills and personal and professional development appropriate to meet the needs of a future career as a leader in biomedical sciences.
The programme provides opportunities to develop skills and knowledge in the biomedical, chemical, and clinical sciences. In addition, in later years focused optional courses provide opportunities to explore the biomedical disciplines of physiology, pharmacology, neuroscience, immunology, reproductive biology, medical microbiology and developmental biology.
B.Sc. Biomedical Informatics Overview
Biomedical informatics encompasses the study of information and computation in biology and health. Researchers in this area create computational tools to manage, share and study information and generate knowledge from biomedical data.
The programme will build extensively on the existing BSc Biomedical Sciences courses which students will study together with peers from this programme while introducing new courses in all four years.
The goal of the programme is to train undergraduate students in the overarching principles of Biomedical Informatics and apply these skills in fundamental biomedical research.
III. Dual Degree
Students admitted to this dual-degree programme are enrolled in both Zhejiang University and the University of Edinburgh.
Students who successfully complete the programme and meet the requirements of both universities will receive two bachelor’s degrees in their respective major fields and a graduation certificate of ZJU:
· Bachelor of Science (Honours) from the University of Edinburgh
· Bachelor of Science from Zhejiang University
· Graduation Certificate from Zhejiang University
IV. Fees and Scholarships
· Application Fee: CNY 800 yuan (non-refundable).
· Tuition fee: CNY 200,000 per year
· Accommodation on campus: CNY 8,000-10,000 per year
· International student medical insurance: CNY 800 per year. (Relevant medical insurance items can be found at www.lxbx.net).
· Living costs: average CNY 35,000-50,000 per year (estimated)
Scholarships（Subject to policy at time of admission）
The Institute offers three types of scholarship support: Undergraduate Scholarship, Academic Scholarship and Oversea-exchange Scholarship.
The scholarship will be reviewed and given on the condition that the student meets the requirements for satisfactory progress toward a degree and follows the rules of the ZJU-UoE Institute.
There are four rates for tuition fee waivers:
A - 200,000 RMB waiver/year for 4 years (full fee waiver of all tuition fees)
B - 140,000 RMB waiver/year for 4 years (student contribution 60,000 RMB/year)
C - 80,000 RMB waiver/year for 4 years (student contribution 120,000 RMB/year)
D - 40,000 RMB waiver/year for 4 years (student contribution 160,000 RMB/year)
Academic Scholarship and Oversea-exchange Scholarship will be assessed by performance during academic years.
Duration: 4 years (The scholarship will be reviewed and given on the condition that the student meets the requirements for satisfactory progress toward a degree and follows the rules of the ZJU-UoE Institute.)
Required by ZJU registration regulation and Ministry of Education of the PRC, applicants shall be aged under 25, non-Chinese passport holders, high school graduates, mentally and physically healthy and must obey by Chinese law and University’s regulations, and respect Chinese culture and habits.
Language Proficiency Requirements
There are no Chinese language proficiency requirements. If applicants’ native language is not English, they should provide score report of English language test (e.g. TOEFL/IELTS/OTHER).
For more detail, please review on ZJU International College: http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/admissionsen/2022/1020/c68988a2649155/page.htm
VI. Application and Deadline
Application will be closed by 31st May 2024 (CST). Applicants must log in to the Online Application System(http://isinfosys.zju.edu.cn/recruit/login.shtml) for International Students of Zhejiang University, fill in clearly and upload completely the original or notarized scanned copies of the following materials as required.
1. A photocopy of the passport.
2. Senior high school diploma.
3. Academic transcript for all the courses in senior high school.
4. Language (English) proficiency certificates (Not required for English native speakers).
5. Two recommendation letters from high school teachers.
6. Personal statement.
7. Award-winning Certificates related to academic courses during your senior high school period. (If applicable)
8. Applicants who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens should provide:
(1) Documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese citizenship
(2) Documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese household registration
(3) Documents certifying the acquirement of foreign citizenship.
(4) Exit and Entry Record on passport, from April 30, 2020 to April 30, 2024.
9. Applicants who have acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents were both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents was a Chinese citizen should provide:
(1) Documents certifying acquiring foreign citizenship at the time of birth,
(2) Documents certifying parent’s (with Chinese citizenship) permanent residence in foreign country before the birth of the applicant.
(3) Exit and Entry Record on passport, from April 30, 2020 to April 30, 2024.
10. Applicants under the age of 18 (by September 1st, 2022) should submit:
(1) Letter of Guardian Guarantee and the guardian must be an adult living in Hangzhou.
(2) A notarized copy of the Guardianship Authorization from the applicant’s parents.
Minimum academic requirements,please check UoE Undergraduate Requirements by Region websitehttps://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/international/country which contains the national examinations for many countries worldwide.
Applicant may be required to provide extra materials and manage a video interview.
1. Students are enrolled on the basis of competitive selection according to their academic performance in senior high school, language proficiency and etc.
2. Applicants who receive the Pre-Admission Notice should prepay the first-year tuition fee on the Online Application System within the specific time period stated on the Offer. The pre-admission will be canceled if applicants fail to prepay the first-year tuition fee within the stated time period.
3. The official Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW202 Form) and other relevant admission documents will be mailed to enrolled applicants once the prepaid tuition fee is confirmed to be received and the University Calendar is released.
The usual on-campus registration period is late August or early September. The exact time will be specified in the matriculation notice. Students should apply for an X1 visa at a Chinese embassy or consulate. Usually a valid passport, matriculation notice, and JW202 Form are needed for the visa application.
For registration, students should report to International Campus of Zhejiang University at the time specified in the offer letter with the following documents: a valid passport, matriculation notice, JW202 Form and an X1 visa.
High school diplomas are required for students who have submitted pre-graduation certificate. Failure to do so will result into cancellation of admission.
IX. Location and Accommodation
International Campus of Zhejiang University
718 East Haizhou Rd., Haining, Zhejiang 314400, P.R. China
Students at International Campus of Zhejiang University will live in Residential College.
X. Contact Person
Ms. Hannah Huang
Phone: +86 571 87572813; Email: email@example.com
University of Edinburgh
Ms. Natasha Goldie
International College, Zhejiang University
Tel: +86 571 87951456
Fax: +86 571 87951755
Office of Undergraduate Program, International College
Office 418 East 1 Building
866 Yu Hang Tang Road
Zijingang Campus, Zhejiang University,
Post code: 310058
For more information, please refer to ZJU International College Homepage http://iczu.zju.edu.cn and ZJU-UoE Institute Homepage http://zje.zju.edu.cn/
Should there be any changes in the above content, the final interpretation from the Zhejiang University -University of Edinburgh Institute shall prevail.