You should ensure you contact your local Chinese embassy or consulate for the most up to date information on visas and entry to China from your home country. We have provided some general information which you may find useful, however, we will provide you with further, specific guidance once you have accepted your offer.


    ‘X’ Visa


    All students should normally hold an ‘X’ visa in order to enter China. It is valid for 30 days from your date of entry into China and you must apply for a residence permit within 30 days from arrival. Our administrative team will help you to do this.




    Once you have accepted your offer we will send you details on how to apply for your visa. You should provide the necessary documents to your local Chinese embassy or consulate. Processing times vary depending on the office but expect to leave at least four weeks to ensure you get the visa on time.


    You will normally require:


    • Passport

    • Offer notice from ZJE (our team will provide this to you)

    • Visa application form

    • Two passport photographs

    • Academic certificates/transcripts





    Once you have obtained your visa, you should plan your flights and arrival. Our team will send you relevant information on start dates before you book.


    When you arrive in China, you will have 30 days to apply for your residency permit. You will be required to complete a short medical examination to receive your residency permit. This is nothing to worry about and is a standard procedure, however, you should expect to give blood and urine tests. One of our team will accompany you to the medical examination and then to the residency permit office.


    For more information on arriving in China, please see our new student guide.


    If you have any questions, please contact